Pages

Monday, 16 September 2013

Cocoa Brownies

I made these brownies for hubby today, but unfortunately since I can't eat cocoa, I had to rely on him for a verdict.  He loved them so much that he ate four in one sitting!  The recipe makes 16, but there are now only 12 left thanks to someone being a greedy guts.  At least I know he approves :)

Cocoa brownies
I modified the recipe quite a bit from this cocoa brownie recipe, because I was short on cocoa and had lots of dark brown sugar I wanted to use up.  I figured the dark brown sugar would give the brownies a richness that would make up for the smaller amount of cocoa - it seems I was right :)  I've made really rich, flavoursome brownies using dark brown sugar before and without any cocoa at all, so knew the theory was sound.   Luckily they came out perfectly! 

About the cocoa thing, unfortunately I can't eat cocoa due to being highly caffeine sensitive :(  I'm hoping to try carob powder as a replacement soon - once I can get my hands on some, but for now hubby has to eat all the yummy cocoa-y baked goods I make!  *sob*  Once I get some carob powder I'm sure I'll be posting up some experimental recipes using that too.  

***

Ingredients:
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups dark brown sugar
  • 225g melted butter
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F).  Grease and flour a square cake tin.  In a large bowl, beat eggs until well combined and light yellow.  Add the dark brown sugar and mix until combined.  Add the melted butter, cocoa, vanilla, flour and salt, and mix until well combined.  Pour into cake tin, bake for approximately 45-60 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.  Rest in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool.  Once completely cool, cut into squares.  

***

Brownies
These brownies should freeze just fine.  To freeze them I've just separated them into individual baggies for hubby to take to work for morning tea.  To defrost them, just leave them on the benchtop until they are room temperature - normally hubby just leaves them in his lunchbox and by morning tea time they are good to go.  

Enjoy your brownies!